Reuben is a high figure of the actual Mod scene in London. He works for Fred Perry, he’s a real Tottenham Spurs fan, he collects 45rpm records and to do some trip to the coast with his Lambretta every year. I asked him what would be his top 5 tunes and to say something about each song. Here it is :
1) Ray Charles “Hit the road Jack”. My wife bought this from a market in Paris about 8 years ago. I was in a cafe in Paris with a pal and she offered me the disc, I just remember the moment clearly thinking ” I’ve come a long way from Brum” the tune itself is an interesting style and undeniably Ray Charles.
2) Benny Spellman “Fortune Teller”. When I first got into real music this was a big tune at the time in Birmingham clubs. A great dancer and written by Allen Toussaint. He warmed up for Sharon Jones and The Dap kings when I saw them in NYC on NYE 2010. I couldn’t believe he was the warm up- I thought he was dead! Such a cool guy and a great writer.
3) Etta James “Mellow Fellow”. Dramatic intro, The lyrics are superb pretty much spelling out most subcultures……”continental suits fitting to a t, alpaca sweaters and coats made out of leather……they can introduce you to all the popular faces…….” Etta’s voice was world class too.
4) Howlin Wolf “Poor Boy”. Kind of my theme tune at the moment, I’m a Brummie, living in East London. I travel a lot for work and sometimes it’s all a bit posh for me. I was also lucky enough in 2011 to visit Sun Studios in Memphis and other than the usual suspects The Wolf was the only originator to get more than 1 picture on the wall.
5) The Small Faces “Tin Soldier”. Predictable I guess, but for: Hammond, English voice, sentiment, passion, THE most complete Mod band ever in my opinion. Their influences were most probably in my previous 4 a lot of guys get tuned onto R&B etc through bands such as SF, I know I did
3 months ago - read more...